Thomas shows Robin reminisce about (nearly) an academic year of podcasting. They describe their favourite practicals and are joined by Patrick Kaplo. Robin and Thomas between them share five practicals that they really enjoy as well as describing their best and worst moments of the year.
- Robin has an exciting announcement @ 00:46
- Physics in the news, Hayabusa2 lands for the second time on an asteroid @ 01:22
- Highlights @ 02:54
- Finding the mass of a 1m ruler using a 1N weight @ 07:17
- SHC using a kettle @ 11:41
- Exploring uncertainty and efficacy of measuring devices using measuring 4 ohm resistors @ 20:16
- Bond energy using a kettle @ 22:55
- High Points and ideas for season 2 @ 25:46
- Thomas’ PIM – Bias @ 32:09
- Patrick Kaplo @ 39:48
Physics, physics, physics, Thomas and Robin just love to talk about how they teach it. Perhaps too much. They chat about the year they have had making the podcast and share some of their favourite practicals along the way.
Finding the mass of a 1m ruler using a 1N weight
Thomas wasn’t super clear in the podcast about this, but has made a Google Slide deck about it. Basically: Find a series of balance points for the ruler pivoted on the edge of a bench with the weight sitting on the but of ruler sticking out. clockwise moments = anticlockwise moments. The image below is from the google slide deck.
Please share ideas or successes – or indeed questions – on our Facebook Page: https://fb.me/physicstp . You can also message us via our website contact form at the.physicsteachingpodcast.com, Twitter @physicstp, email using the address given in the podcast (if we remember), you could even email us an autio file if you are feeling really keen.
- Season 5: Crescents by Ketsa.
- Seasons 3 and 4: Disco Sheik by Podington Bear.
- Seasons 1 and 2: One legged equilibrist polka by Circus Homunculus.
- Occasionally we also use Cantina Rag by Jackson F. Smith.
The music is used under the Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 International License