Alom Shaha talks about his book “Mr Shaha’s Recipes for Wonder”, his love of Practical, the videos he makes to support teachers and equality.
- Physics in the News: Black Hole Photo @ 01:01
- Katie Bouman @ 2:24
- Emails from listeners @ 06:29
- Announcing the next Ways to teach… episode @ 08:29
- Alom Shaha intro @ 10:06
- Recipes for Wonder @ 11:42
- Parents are the first teachers @ 12:29
- Alom’s Videos and helping teachers of Physics @ 23:00
- Inclusivity @ 31:55
- Competition! @ 38:02
Physics in the news is (of course) the recent first ever photo of a Black Hole by the Event Horizon Telescope; Thomas mentioned the XKCD cartoon that gives its scale. We then thanked some listeners who have contacted the podcast before introducing Alom Shaha. Alom has (with Emily Robertson) created a book for Primary Age children that encourages them to do Science with their parents: Recipes for Wonder. Alom also has a YouTube channel (Sciencefilms) that is aimed at teachers. Alom had a lot of interesting things to sy so this is our longest episode yet.
Please share ideas or successes – or indeed questions – on our Facebook Page: https://fb.me/physicstp . You can also message us via our website contact form at the.physicsteachingpodcast.com, Twitter @physicstp, email using the address given in the podcast (if we remember) or by leaving a voice memo using WhatsApp or Telegram to the phone number in our Twitter profile, +44 7898 814716 (don’t call the number, nobody will answer, just hold down the microphone icon and speak your message or upload an mp3 or ogg). Don’t forget to tell us your name because we may use your audio in a future episode.
- Season 3: Disco Sheik by Podington Bear.
- Seasons 1 and 2: One legged equilibrist polka by Circus Homunculus.
- Occasionally we also use Cantina Rag by Jackson F. Smith.
The music is used under the Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 International License